The Marcelo H. del Pilar National Shrine stands in Sitio Cupang, Barangay San Nicolas, Bulacan. It is located on the same property where Marcelo H. del Pilar was born and raised before he left for Spain in 1888. The over 4000-square-meter land contains the 10-foot Marcelo H. del Pilar monument, the del Pilar family mauseoleum and a two-storey bahay na bato (stone house) which serves as the museum.
Marcelo H. del Pilar was a lawyer and writer who wrote using the pen name Plaridel (an anagram of del Pilar). He wrote Caiigat Cayo to show his support for José Rizal’s first novel Noli Me Tangere and to contradict a friar’s attack of Rizal’s masterpiece. Del Pilar and Pedro Serrano wrote the satirical book Dasalan at Tocsohan (Prayers and Mockeries) and Pasióng Dapat Ipag-alab nang Puso nang Tauong Babasa (Passion That Should Inflame the Heart of the Reader). He was most known for being the last editor of the Reform Movement newspaper La Solidaridad. For five years, he virtually single-handedly funded the publication of the newspaper in order to advance his wishes for his native land. Del Pilar wanted assimilation of the Philippines as a province of Spain, removal of Spanish priests and the placement of Filipino priests in their stead, equality of Spanish and Filipino before the law, and Filipino representation in the Spanish Cortes (things that any Filipino student should know by heart). On July 4, 1896, del Pilar died of tuberculosis in Barcelona, penniless. The Reform Movement failed to achieve its goals but its teachings inspired the foundation of Katipunan and the events leading to the Philippine Revolution.
The 10-foot mixture of cement and crushed bronze statue of Marcelo H. del Pilar is flanked by two panels that show his life story. Apolinario Bulaong created the statue and the panels of Marcelo H. del Pilar National Shrine.
The statue of Marcelo H. del Pilar serves as the final resting place of the Philippine hero. Del Pilar’s remains were returned to the Philippines from Spain in 1920 and were interred in Manila North Cemetery for 64 years. In 1984, his remains were transferred to the Marcelo H. del Pilar National Shrine.
This statue of Marcelo H. del Pilar aptly stands in the middle of the property.
This mural by Apolinario Bulaong is found to the left of the Marcelo H. del Pilar statue.
This mural by Apolinario Bulaong is located on the right side of the Marcelo H. del Pilar statue.
The del Pilar family mausoleum at Marcelo H. del Pilar National Shrine. Upon the completion of the mausoleum, the remains of the family members of Marcelo H. del Pilar were re-interred under one roof.
The del Pilar family tree is found inside the mausoleum
This two-storey structure is located at the back of the del Pilar property. It serves as the museum that holds historical pieces. This is not a replica of the del Pilar house that used to stand on the same parcel of land.
This bahay na bato was built in 1998. It houses historical memorabilia related to Marcelo H. del Pilar and other Philippine heroes.
One of the busts of Marcelo H. del Pilar found in the museum
Some of the historical objects found in the del Pilar museum: La Solidaridad and some information about Marcelo H. del Pilar, Mariano Ponce, Graciano Lopez-Jaena and Jose Rizal.
Some of the historical books displayed in the museum
There is a section dedicated to Gregorio del Pilar, the nephew of Marcelo H. del Pilar. The young general valiantly fought against the Texas Regiment in Tirad Pass to give Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo the much needed head start over the Americans hot in his pursuit. He was killed after five hours of fighting. He was only 24.